Recently there have been changes to the purchasing and renewal of licenses with Alt-N Technologies’ products. Alt-N has moved away from their fixed tier licensing system to something they call Flex Licensing.
What advantages does the new Flex Licensing system provide?
- MDaemon and it’s plugins can now be licensed for any number of users (minimum of 5). For example MDaemon can be licensed for 9, 62, 113, 1478, etc user counts. With the old fixed tier system if a customer needed more that 100 accounts then their only option was to upgrade to a 250 user version. Having 250 user accounts will most likely exceed a company’s current and forecasted needs. With Flex Licensing you can purchase just the number of users that you need!
NOTE: we do recommend to purchase more accounts then you would currently need to allow for some degree in growth.
- Have you ever needed to wait until a slow time (i.e. after hours or on a weekend) to enter your new license key, because you knew that entering the key would require you to restart the MDaemon service? Or maybe you renewed your MDaemon license and forgot to enter the new Registration Key? This will be a thing of the past. Once the MDaemon server does an update check your license statistics (i.e. number of users allowed, renewal dates, etc) will be automatically updated. No need to remember to enter your new Registration Key or restart the MDaemon service. Of course there is also a method in place to force the update to trigger so that your license will get updated promptly!
What products are sold using the Flex Licensing?
All of Alt-N’s products will be sold using the new Flex Licensing model. This includes:
- MDaemon Messaging Server
- SecurityPlus (MDaemon’s AV plugin)
- Outlook Connector
What versions of the Alt-N products support the new Flex Licensing model?
- MDaemon v14.0.0 and higher (and any compatible version of SecurityPlus, Outlook Connector, and ActiveSync)*
- SecurityGateway v2.1.0 and higher
- RelayFax v7.1.0 and higher
*The SecurityPlus, Outlook Connector, and ActiveSync plugins are managed by the MDaemon server and do not require a specific version to be compatible with Flex Licensing.
Will I have to update my existing MDaemon server(s) and plugins on or before the launch of the Flex Licensing system?
No. Existing MDaemon servers and any installed plugins will continue to function normally.
Other Notable Changes
- Sales of MDaemon Lite (also known as MDaemon “Standard”) will be discontinued. The “Lite” version of MDaemon is a stripped down version of MDaemon that was designed to give companies a low cost entry point. Market studies suggest the MDaemon Lite lacks common security features of other email server software. The market has since changed significantly and studies now suggest that common and/or advanced features are a priority. So as of MDaemon v14.0.0 there is no longer a “Lite” version of MDaemon. The Pro version will simply be referred to as MDaemon.
- New purchases of MDaemon have a 30 domain cap of configurable domains. If you update an existing MDaemon server to v14.0.0, or higher, and have less then 30 domains configured, then the 30 domain cap will be enforced. If you update an existing MDaemon server to v14.0.0, or higher, and have more than 30 configured domains, then the domain cap will never be enforced. Your license will be permanently grandfathered for the life of the MDaemon server so that no domain cap will ever be enforced.
- Optional 3 year renewal period. Alt-N has always offered a 1 year or 2 year renewal. We now have the option of purchasing a 3 year renewal.
- Unlimited user licenses are no longer available for new purchases. We now have a maximum user limit of 2500 users. Requests to renew or purchase an unlimited user license, or a user count over 2500 users, will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by Alt-N.
Want to find out how much money your business can save by only paying for the users you need? Find out on our pricing web page.
Any questions? Send an email to email@example.com.